Welcome to our website
The parish of Winchcombe is situated about eight miles north-east of Cheltenham, in Gloucestershire, England. It is the largest of the Winchcombe Team of Parishes.
There are four churches in the parish:
Christian worship began in Winchcombe in Saxon times. The earliest reference to the church, dedicated to St Peter, is in 1175 when we hear of its close association with the abbey that once stood to the east of the church. The present building dates from 1468, and remains externally very much as it was when it was built.
The current church (replacing a ruined medieval one) was built in 1868 to a design of J D Wyatt. It comprises a nave, chancel, south transept, tower with spire (which acts as a south porch) and a vestry.
This recently rededicated church, situated in the small hamlet of Stanley Pontlarge, consists of a nave and chancel with a bellcote on the east gable of the nave. The nave dates back from the 12th century with 14th or 15th century west and south windows. The chancel is thought to have been built in the late nineteenth century.
This fine little church is situated in the grounds of Sudeley Castle. Like the castle, it was ruined during the Civil War, eventually being restored by Sir George Gilbert Scott. It contains the marble tomb of Queen Katherine Parr.