The organ in St Peter’s has an interesting history. The oldest surviving part is the case which faces down the North aisle; this came from an instrument built for Earl of Plymouth in Bromsgrove in 1710 and the carving has been attributed to the school of Grinling Gibbons. It came to St Peter’s in 1782 and stood on a gallery at the west end of the church before being moved to its present northeast position. In 1890 the instrument was combined with another organ bought from All Saints’ in Cheltenham; further work was carried out by Percy Daniel of Clevedon in 1934, in 1954 and again in 1970 when the instrument was turned and mounted on a platform. The Large Open Diapason was added to the Great in 2002 when the organ was also cleaned. Some pipework survives from the nineteenth century but probably very little from the eighteenth. The organ speaks quite well into the church and it is possible to play a variety of music effectively. The present specification is as follows:
Pedal C – f1
1Open Wood16
2Bourdon16A
3Principal8B
4Bass Flute8A
5Fifteenth4B
6Octave Flute4A
7Twenty Second2B
8Oboe16Swell
Great C – g3
9Large Open Diapason8
10Small Open Diapason8
11Clarinet Flute8
12Dulciana8
13Principal4
14Flute4
15Twelfth2 2/3
16Fifteenth2
17MixtureIII 19.22.26
Swell C – g3
18Open Diapason8
19Stopped Diapason8
20Salicional8
21Vox Angelica8TC
22Principal4
23Fifteenth2
24MixtureII19.22
25Contra Oboe16C
26Trumpet8
27Oboe Tremulant8C
Couplers
Swell to PedalSwell octave
Swell to Great Swell suboctave
Great to Pedal
4 adjustable thumb and toe pistons to each division
Reversible thumb pistons for Sw-Gt, Gt-Pd
Reversible toe piston for Gt-Pd
Balanced swell pedal